Become a Masterful Couples Therapist!
Becoming an expert couples therapist usually takes an entire career, but this fellowship will enable you to become masterful in two years.
- You will receive extraordinary couples therapy training while getting paid to do it.
- You will get an abundance of experience with couples, intensive training, and close supervision in Pragmatic/Experiential Therapy for Couples (PET-C) from Dr. Brent Atkinson and other senior Couples Clinic Supervisors.
- You will set yourself on track to become a permanent part of a team whose innovative couples therapy methods are known and used around the world.
Application deadline is April 8, 2020. Fellowships begin September 1, 2020.
This Two-Year Fellowship in Couples Therapy is ideal for:
- Therapists who have recently completed graduate degrees and need to accumulate experience and supervision required for full licensure.
- Therapists who are interested completing the fellowship and moving into full-time permanent therapists positions at the Couples Clinic.
Overview of the Fellowship
- The Fellowship is designed to generate highly trained and competent therapists specializing in couples therapy. Fellows will fulfill the supervision and clinical contact hour requirements for the full LMFT license in the state of Illinois.
Description of the Fellowship Training Site
- The Couples Clinic and Research Institute in Geneva, Illinois is the home of a team of therapists and researchers who have generated methods that are known and used by couples therapists around the world (thecouplesclinic.com/our-story).
Fellowship Candidate Selection Philosophy
- We believe that your personal qualities are more important than your experience. In fact, we do not expect you to have any experience in couples therapy. We are looking for therapists who have a passion for couples therapy and have a strong enough personality to hold the therapy room. We are also looking for individuals who are able to challenge and support clients at the same time.
Model of Couples Therapy
- We are the creators of Pragmatic/Experiential for Couples (PET-C). Detailed in our books, Emotional Intelligence in Couples Therapy: Advances from Neurobiology and the Science of Intimate Relationships, and Developing Habits for Relationship Success, our approach has been described by Oprah as “completely counterintuitive and wonderfully effective.” The editor of the Journal of Marital and Family Therapy called it “a tour-de-force of scientific wisdom and sophistication.” Step-by-step, you will become masterful in implementing this highly integrative and comprehensive treatment model for couples.
Training and Supervision
- Audio and video review of your therapy sessions will be a primary tool enabling moment-by-moment feedback from your supervisor.
- You will receive audio-video review individual supervision (72 hours per year), face-to-face individual or dyadic supervision (48 hours per year) and group supervision (72 hours per year) from Dr. Atkinson and other senior Couples Clinic supervisors.
Expectation of Fellows
- Fellows devote 35 hours per week to fellowship responsibilities. After the initial training period, a minimum of 20 of these 30 hours will involve conducting therapy sessions during “prime time” hours: 4-10 PM weekdays; 8 AM – 6 PM Saturdays and Sundays.
- Fellows are expected to attend all training and supervision sessions.
- Fellows are expected to record their counseling sessions for review during supervision.
- Fellows are expected to engage in role plays facilitated by the clinical supervisors.
- Fellows are expected to be open to understanding their own relational tendencies and the etiology of those tendencies.
- Fellows are expected to read and be proficient with assigned materials prior to the beginning of, and during, the Fellowship.
Fellow Stipend, Leave, and Benefits
- The Post-Graduate Fellowship is a full-time paid 2 year position.
- We offer a package including $30,000 annual salary, plus training and other benefits . See the PDF titled, “2020 Fellowship Compensation Package for more detail.
- The Couples Clinic provides liability and malpractice insurance.
- Fellows will receive all clinical supervision hours and client contact hours necessary for the full LMFT license in Illinois.
- Fellows will receive 2 weeks of paid leave per year.
- The Couples Clinic offers a retirement plan in which we match up to 3% of your salary for a SIMPLE IRA.
- Although there are no guarantees, we fully intend for fellows to become full-time Couples Clinic therapists at the end of their fellowships.
Qualifications of Applicants
- The completion of a Master’s or PhD degree in Marriage & Family Therapy, Social Work, or Counseling by September 1, 2020.
- A willingness to commit to a 2 year Fellowship.
- Interest in becoming a full-time Couples Clinic team member after completing the fellowship.
- An honest and sincere respect for relationships and a commitment to providing the best care possible.
Additional Preferred Qualifications (not mandatory)
- Knowledge of the major models of couples therapy.
- Sex therapy training
- Sex therapy education
- Knowledge of specific trauma models
- Experience with trauma therapies.
Application Procedures and Deadlines
1. Record a video introducing yourself and answering the following questions. Email the video as an attachment or upload it to YouTube and send us the link (firstname.lastname@example.org .) (You can use your phone to record the video).
- What about the Fellowship at the Couples Clinic is exciting to you?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- What adjectives best describe your personality?
- What are you like in a group? How do people experience you?
- In this fellowship, you’ll receive lots of feedback about your personal habits of interacting with others, your habits of expressing yourself, and the way you organize and process thoughts and emotions. Have you ever received feedback on these sorts of things? Can you give an example? What do you think this feedback process will be like for you?
- Have you ever expressed a complaint to a supervisor or boss, or had a complaint but decided not to express it? (Please give an example). What was the decision-making process (to express or not to express) like for you? If you decided to express it, how did it go? What (if anything) would you do differently if you could do it over again?
- Do you believe that couples therapists should voice opinions about (and attempt to influence) dysfunctional communication and interpersonal habits evidenced by those involved in leadership and government? What is the biggest problem you have seen in leadership and government lately?
- If you were offered this fellowship – what would be your biggest hesitations in taking the position?
- Where do you envision yourself in 5 years? In 10 years?
- What else should we know about you?
2. Email your resume or curriculum vitae (to email@example.com) along with the names and contact information of three supervisors or professors who you are willing to allow us to speak with about your qualities as a learner. In your email, tell us why you are interested in the Fellowship and why you think you would be a good candidate.
3. The Application Timeline
- The application deadline is April 8, 2020
- Fellowships will begin September 1, 2020.
Eight Reasons Why You Should Do This 2-Year Fellowship
- CUTTING EDGE: Over the past 35 years, we’ve developed an innovative treatment approach that is widely recognized and used by couples therapists throughout the world. Read what other leading couples therapists are saying about it at thecouplesclinic.com/our-approach. By the end of this Fellowship, you will have received three tiers of PET-C training. More importantly, you’ll receive expert guidance in implementing PET-C day-in and day-out, every week for 2 years.
- EFFECTIVENESS: At the Couples Clinic, effectiveness is one of our core values. Read about what our clients say about our results at: thecouplesclinic.com/our-results.
- SUPPORT: We are deeply invested in our fellows, and are available to them 24/7.
- COMMUNITY: This Fellowship gives you the advantage of being around skillful & experienced colleagues who will be mentoring you along the way. We love coming to work each day at the Couples Clinic because of the awesome people who work here! Each member of our group has been thoroughly vetted and chosen. As a result we have a fantastic team of therapists!
- EXPERIENCE: By the end of the Fellowship, you will exceed the number of client hours you need for licensure, and you’ll receive close supervision from Dr. Atkinson and other senior Couples Clinic supervisors. We’ll watch and/or listen to recordings of your sessions and give you the kind of moment-by-moment guidance you need in order to really know what you’re doing.
- HOURS: Many therapists pursuing Marriage and Family Therapy Licensure really struggle to get in all of their supervision and relational client contact hour requirements within two years. Due to our reputation and years of excellent services, this will simply not be a problem for you, You won’t have to do ANYTHING to recruit clients.
- PAY: When all of the benefits are factored in – we estimate your total compensation package to be worth over $100,000 for a two year commitment. This Fellowship is intended to train therapists who will likely become future Couples Clinic full-time therapists once the Fellowship has been completed. Post-fellowship Couples Clinic therapists earn a revenue split and can earn up to six figures. And all of this without having to worry about generating their own clients. It would be very hard to earn this kind of living anywhere else in this field.
- MEANING: You’ll have an incredibly meaningful job. Not only will you learn how to change the course of people’s lives for the better, you’ll also be part of a team of innovators who are changing the way couples therapy is done around the world. Every week we continue our work translating new scientific discoveries into practical methods for improving relationships. At the Couples Clinic, you will join a group of dedicated professionals who may very well be setting the standard for excellent couples therapy in the coming decades.
Download Information about the Couples Therapy Fellowship Program:
“Atkinson’s pioneering methods for rewiring automatic emotional processes in the brain are widely recognized.”
-Encyclopedia of Couple and Family Therapy
“PET-C is the only approach that adequately addresses the problem of blame and contempt in the early stages of relationship recovery.”
– Filip Pavlinec — www.paarinstitute.ch (Swiss Institute for Relationships)
“Any couples therapists concerned about increasing their effectiveness and avoiding relapse need to master this powerful new approach!”
-Thomas C. Todd, Ph.D.,
Recipient of the award for Outstanding Contributions to Family Therapy, Theory, and Practice by the American Family Therapy Academy.
“Destined to be one of the most important books on couples therapy of this decade… A tour de force of scientific sophistication and clinical wisdom. Emotional Intelligence in Couples Therapy will be a classic!”
Douglas H. Sprenkle, Ph.D.
-Former Editor, Journal of Marital and Family Therapy
-Recipient, AAMFT Award for Cumulative Career
Contribution to Family Therapy Research.
“The habits for relationship success illustrated in this book dramatically improved my own clinical work.”
-Teresa McDowell, Ed.D.,
Professor & Chair, Department of Counseling Psychology,
Lewis and Clark Graduate School of Education and Counseling.
“Atkinson draws on the latest research into the behavior of couples in intimate relationships and the impact of the emotional brain on human interaction. He provides a specific step-by-step guide to developing habits that greatly increase the chances of having a successful, loving relationship.”
-Harvey Joanning, Ph.D. Professor Emeritus,
Iowa State University and Texas Tech University.
“Training with Dr. Atkinson has by far been the most rewarding investment of my career and honestly, toward my personal and relational health and happiness.
-Angie Tsiatsos Phillips, Director, Colorado Couples Clinic
“Brent Atkinson’s Pragmatic Experiential Method skillfully blends mindfulness practices with neurobiological discoveries and cutting-edge research about why intimate relationships succeed or fail. Brent is a master trainer and his 5-day workshop gives therapists all the tools they need to help clients function at higher levels when the smoke alarm goes off. Two thumbs up!”
-Diana Shulman, J.D, Ph.D.
Author of ABC’s of Love
Brent’s work and the work of the Couples Clinic as a whole is deeply grounded in the leading research in the field of marital distress and applicable to anyone who wants to learn to love well.”
-Kerry Lusignan, Director of the Northampton Center for Couples Therapy.
“This training was a GAME CHANGER. So much good, clear information that hones in on the aspects of couples’ work that is most effective in creating lasting change. I think the book [Developing Habits for Relationship Success] should be required reading for all clinicians and people in long-term relationships!”
-Kelley Watts, Psychologist, Houston, Texas
I highly recommend Brent’s trainings – they’ll make a big difference in your career and effectiveness as a couples therapist.”
-DJ Hilley, MSEd, LPC,
“Brent is a phenomenal therapist and mentor. I use his approach daily in my private practice and clients love the guidance and tools. His approach makes improvement feel tangible, not elusive like so many other approaches. Oh, and PS…. I believe I have an awesome marriage of 20+ years because of all I have learned from Brent!”
Founder of the Colorado Couples and Family Therapy Center
I often say that the PET-C would have been helpful for me to learn in my 20’s and would have made my first marriage go much better. His approach has helped me become a more confident person and much better able to manage conflict in healthy ways. I am grateful for what Brent developed and his contributions to the Marriage and Family Therapy field.”
-Mary Beth Harper, Founder, Collaborative Marriage and Family Counseling
“Over the last ten years I have asked Brent Atkinson to train my staff several times in his Pragmatic/Experiential Therapy for Couples. We decided that it is such a useful method that any therapist who wants to provide relationship therapy needs to have a working knowledge of PET-C. This model is complete, sophisticated and approachable.”
-Suzanne Drennan, Owner, The Psychology Center, Madison, Wisconsin
“As a psychologist and trainee in the Couples Clinic methods, I have integrated many valuable materials and concepts into my life as well as my work with couples. This is a comprehensive and transformational approach to healing relationships.”
-Jade Mueller, Ph.D.,
“I enrolled in a week-long intensive training seminar with Dr. Atkinson 10 years ago in Appleton, WI. I am now in the Houston Texas area and am in private practice. Dr. Atkinson’s Emotional Habits for Couples, 12-Step Summary for resolving conflicts, and Core Differences in personality are a part of almost every couple session that I facilitate. They make an amazing impact in the healing of the couples that I work with. Thank you, Brent!”
-Mary Lambrecht, Founder, Family Help Counseling